|Mrs Carol Murphy (f)|
RN, Diploma Asthma, Family planning and Diabetes, BSc Community Specialist Practitioner, MSc Advanced Clinical Practice - Qualified 1987
Specialist interests in Diabetes, Womens' health and Learning Disability.
Worked on specialist projects with Armed forces, Homeless, Diabetes and Asian Communities.
Nurse practitioners can support patients with long term conditions and often provide the first point of contact for patients, particularly those with minor illnesses. They have been trained to be able to provide aspects of care previously carried out by GPs.
They are able to:
- take a full patient history
- carry out any physical examinations
- use their knowledge to identify a likely diagnosis
- request appropriate tests to aid diagnosis (blood tests, x-rays, scans)
- refer patients to an appropriate specialist (in the practice or hospital)
- prescribe medicines and non-medical treatments
- arrange follow up and ongoing management